Tena Lukas gave the crowd a huge smile and a wave after her win under the lights on center court last night. She defeated world no. 359 Spaniard Estrella Cabeza Candela 6-1, 6-0. The 23-year-old from Kastela received a wildcard into the tournament at the request of her Croatian Fed Cup captain Iva Majoli, and dazzled the crowd with her dominating tennis.
The atmosphere in the stands was lively, with a few hundred tennis fans gathered to support the local favorite. After the match Lukas shared how much she enjoys playing in Bol, “Indeed it is much easier [playing] at home, where I feel extra energy that carries me forward…I did not expect such a convincing victory, but I deserved it, I played great.” When asked how far she thinks she can go in Bol this week Lukas said she is hopeful but taking it one day at a time. “I’m going to enjoy this victory now and not think too far ahead,” she said.
Lukas is the only Croatian remaining in the draw. She plays again tonight, Thursday, June 7 at 8:00pm on Bluesun Center Court. She faces world no. 134 Carol Zhao from Canada. Zhao is in top form after defeating the Bol Open’s no. 1 seed and world no. 67 Kateryna Kozlova, who recently knocked out reigning champion Jelena Ostapenko, in the first round of Roland Garros. Zhao won their meeting 6-3, 6-1.
Day 2 Singles Results:
- Linette (POL) d. A. Kalinina (UKR) 6-4 7-6(0)
- Zidansek (SLO) d. A. Tomljanovic (AUS) 6-3 6-1
- Sorribes Tormo (ESP) d. Y. Wang (CHN) 3-6 6-4 7-6(5)
- Duque-Mariño (COL) d. T. Martincova (CZE) 2-6 6-3 6-2
- Lukas (CRO) d. E. Cabeza Candela (ESP) 6-1 6-0
- Minella (LUX) d. S. Zheng (CHN) 7-5 6-3
- Cadantu (ROU) d. Y. Bonaventure (BEL) 6-2 6-0
- Zhuk (RUS) d. K. Kucova (SVK) 6-2 6-3
Day 2 Doubles Results:
- Knoll (SUI) / R. Voracova (CZE) d. E. Ruse (ROU) / P. Thombare (IND) 6-2 6-2
- Soler-Espinosa (ESP) / B. Stefkova (CZE) d. D. Jurak (CRO) / C. Lister (SWE) 6-1 6-4
- Honcova (SVK) / T. Martincova (CZE) d. N. Dzalamidze (RUS) / G. Voskoboeva (KAZ) 6-4 6-2